Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rachel Morgan Finally Kisses Trent in Kim Harrison’s Pale Demon


Kim Harrison’s Pale Demon makes other paranormal series pale in comparison. Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

But really—just when I thought the series couldn’t get any better, Kim Harrison exceeds my expectations yet again. I just finished the novel after 48 frantic hours of virtually non-stop reading…I think I read the book in 3 sittings, to be honest. And I’ve reached three conclusions:

1. Kim Harrison is one of the best authors in paranormal fiction.

2. I was right about Rachel and Trent.

3. I can’t wait another year to find out what happens next!


Okay, I should probably warn you that there will be spoilers from this moment on.


This is my favorite book in the series so far. I’ve been reading this series for years, and with each new installation, I am amazed at how Ms. Harrison always keeps me guessing. Her books are action-packed with comedy relief usually provided by courtesy of Jenks. And there’s always just enough romance to keep me hooked.

For years, I’ve thought that Trent and Rachel would end up together. From the very beginning, the chemistry between them has been undeniable. Rachel’s first description of Trent demonstrates she is clearly attracted to him. Since then, we have seen their relationship develop slowly as situations have forced them to work together. Rachel even stopped Trent’s wedding…granted, she did it by placing the groom under arrest, but hey—whatever works, right? Another aspect of their relationship that I’ve enjoyed following is how they have slowly begun to be more comfortable around each other, particularly seen in the use of their first names.

In each new book, I hungrily skim for any kind of dialogue between Rachel and Trent. I feel like I’ve hit the jackpot with Pale Demon. The entire novel is about the development of their romance.

I know what you’re thinking. Rachel kisses a lot of people in this book, not just Trent. But I believe every single one of Rachel’s kisses in Pale Demon is just to get her one step closer to her relationship with Trent. I feel like all of Rachel’s past relationships have allowed her to grow and become the person who is right for Trent. They have not only taught her about heartbreak and relationships in general, but also to be open-minded and tolerant of the shades of grey. And anyone who is familiar with Trent will be able to acknowledge that many of his choices fall into that category. For Rachel to be able to accept Trent as he is—flaws and all—she must be able to embrace not only the good but also the bad in him. She wasn’t ready to do that when they first met as adults. In Pale Demon, she sees him as more than just a corrupt businessman…and that opens the door for a future relationship. She sees him in casual clothes. She sees him in vulnerable, life-threatening situations. And she sees him as a loving father, probably the most shocking of all.

Yet for Rachel to become available for a new relationship with Trent, many loose ends needed to be addressed. For starters, her relationship with Al needed to be defined. Who is stronger? Is there a possibility of a sexual relationship with Al? As a demon, Al can give Rachel the one thing other men in her life can’t—a child of her own. (I’m not sure if any of the other species can mix with Rachel). The kiss between Al and Rachel clearly shows that Rachel does not want to take their relationship to the next level, and she is very clear that the kiss is more of a power struggle than anything else.

Ivy was the next person to kiss Rachel. For several novels, Ivy’s unrequited love for Rachel has been the subtext of many scenes between them. Ms. Harrison finally gives Ivy closure with this tasteful goodbye kiss.

And then there was Pierce. He is Rachel’s first love, her very first crush. We all know how those are…our newly discovered feelings overshadow everything negative about our crush. We are blind to the flaws and only see the good in them. For a while, Rachel was blind when it came to Pierce. Yet when Rachel prevents Pierce from killing Al, she quickly realizes that Pierce does not belong on that proverbial pedestal. When Pierce gives Rachel that peck on the lips before vowing to help her, she seems shocked that he is kissing her. She can’t quite forgive him for not living up to her expectations. I believe she had already written him off from the moment she saw him about to kill Al. That relationship was doomed from the start. (Come on! He was a ghost!) However, Pierce taught Rachel a powerful lesson. She was able to recognize that Pierce was a black witch, using black magic to kill. This was her first step in acceptance of her own situation. If Pierce was a black witch, did that mean she was a black witch too? Later, she learns that she has a power only possessed by female demons, and she is quick to accept the new role. She has no problem labeling herself as a demon, and I believe her relationship with Pierce played a large part in her character’s development.

Now that Al, Ivy, and Pierce are no longer contenders for Rachel’s heart, what other problems stand in her potential relationship with Trent? The main problem is that Trent does not fit into Rachel’s life. For instance, Jenks hated him. Well, Ms. Harrison fixed that during the road trip. Jenks spent so much time with Trent that they are now potential work buddies! And did you notice how Ivy subtly keeps leaving Trent and Rachel alone towards the end of the book, as if to say “I approve!” First, Ivy leaves them alone at the hospital, and then again during the final kitchen scene…oh, and the kitchen! I must mention the kitchen. It seems fitting that Ms. Harrison chose the kitchen as the location for Trent and Rachel’s first kiss. It is the place where Rachel feels most at home, and most comfortable. Ah, their first kiss…didn’t you just love it?

I could not have envisioned a more perfect first kiss for Rachel and Trent. First of all, the fact that they were forced into it was just hilarious. Trent’s obvious reluctance—how he researched all other options—was just adorable. I also loved her initial reaction and how insulted Trent is that she isn’t willing to kiss him to save her life! Rachel quickly clears up that misunderstanding, but the beginning is awkward as Rachel is not allowing herself to enjoy it. Yet she can’t resist running her fingers through his hair…she’s wanted to do that for years, she confesses. And then she lets go of her inhibitions...and the fairly tale kiss wakes her up. At first when she awakes, she is furious that the moment wasn’t private between them, as Ivy and Jenks were both present. It takes her a while to realize that she owes her life to Trent and that she has no reason to be upset. To be honest, it seems like Rachel is embarrassed to be caught kissing Trent, as if they had walked into a secret fantasy of hers. But the truth is that regardless of Ivy and Jenks’ presence, Trent was actually there, so the moment was not exactly as private as a secret fantasy. I think she was really upset over the fact that there were other witnesses because now she couldn’t pretend that the kiss never happened…which is what she actually ends up doing anyway during that last scene in the kitchen.

The final kitchen scene was a pivotal moment for Rachel and Trent. Trent can’t seem to let go of Rachel’s presence in his life and, baby and all, uses a flimsy excuse to stick around. It’s interesting that he sits down in Ivy’s chair—obviously symbolic of the shift in focus from Ivy to Trent in the series. It takes a while for Rachel to acknowledge his presence in her kitchen, dealing first with other issues while Trent patiently waits for her to be ready to talk to him. Ivy conveniently leaves the church, and for an instant, I was hopeful that this would be the beginning of a beautiful romantic scene, since they are pretty much home alone. Trent brings up the kiss…and I could almost kill Rachel for her reaction…trying to pretend it was nothing, so of course Trent retreats. It takes Rachel a while to realize what Trent and the readers of the book have figured out a long time ago: Trent liked the kiss…and if Rachel is honest…so did she!

The book ends with a hopeful note of the possibilities in the future for Rachel and Trent, not only of romance but also of family with Lucy. Knowing Rachel, it may take several more books for her to develop that kind of relationship with Trent, as well as to finally discover her own identity in the process.

Overall, I highly recommend Pale Demon and all the previous Rachel Morgan novels by Kim Harrison. I am wholeheartedly grateful to Kim Harrison for the many, wonderful hours I have spent lost in the world of the Hollows!


Here’s my twist on the classic favorite:

Rachel and Trent

Sitting in a kitchen

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

First comes love

Then comes a road trip

Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!


Okay, it doesn’t rhyme, but it was fun!


Happy reading,

Eugenia

5 comments:

  1. I actually ended up on your blog becauses I googled Rachel Morgan and Trent Kiss. I have been waiting for this too happen. GOD! I agree with you that I wanted to throw a shoe at Rachel at the end of the book when she said to forget about the kiss. I think it was pretty brave of Trent to bring it up since its always hot and cold with the two of them. I want him to lose control more often. I would like to see them in a knock out, drag out fight and a romantic finish. I think that will completely clear the air. As far as kids go, Demons, witches and elves all came from the ever-after, s-o-o-o...why can't Trent and Rachel conceive. They are all basically similar genetically? Maybe? It was the elves that cursed the demons and sort of created the witches right? I mean witches and demons are more so, but if Trent's dad saved her maybe he used a little Elf DNA in the mix? It would be nice for Trent to find out if his dad saved Rachel, not only because her dad was his best friend, but because he knew that Rachel secretly loved Trent all along. It might be a nice thing if Trent found out his father was actually thinking of him for a change. He seemed to feel his dad only cared about saving the elves and making money to care about him.
    I want to get my mom to start reading the Hollows too. I love this series.
    One other paranormal romance thought
    Patricia Briggs titles of Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series.
    Possibly the Patterson Maximum Ride series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and my bad, I didn't see your shelf to see the Alpha and Omega series. Also try the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. They are not heavy into romance but they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i googled Rachel Morgan and Trent too :))) I’ve thought that Trent and Rachel would end up together too, from the first book and was looking forward to read about them and pale demon was really great, looking forward for more of them.
    Thank for Your nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that was one of the best kiss scenes i have ever read. Made evryone at class read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eugenia ¿How are you? Actually i love the complete series of Kim Harrison but there is a little problem... I live in Latin america and i don't know if you know that her books are incomplete in spanish, i love Trent and i have expected this romance for a very long time and i love english, so my new challenge is finish the books in its original language but my question is... ¿can you help me? i mean, if i need a little explanation of one chapter or of an "english expression" i would like to have someone to help me to understand it. Thank you so much, if you want to help me, my email is nickipettrevelyan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete